First off, I know, second post of the day! I am not a blogging addict, I promise! And I apologize for clogging up your email/reader. But as you can see from the picture above, I am one of those people who, when they’re into something, they are REALLY into something, and when they’re not, they’re not. Right now I am quite into blogging 🙂
So I’m going to have a muse about blogging for a bit. How meta am I?
I was reading some comments on another lovely lady’s blog, and suddenly got to thinking about the whole blogging deal and what I’ve learned about it. And what I’m still not clear about. Perhaps you can even help me with that! Here are the results of my musings, in no particular order.
1. Blogging is super-duper hard. I used to have a friend who was a professional blogger and in my mind that meant she sat around all day in her P.J’s eating ice-cream and scrolling through her Twitter-feed. Actually, it’s really hard work. I didn’t realize this when I first started my blog, but to some extent you are creating a brand, and then working to refine that brand…to craft your presence, if you will. On top of which you have to write, tweet, comment, stay current, spend money actually buying stuff to review (until I get mega famous of course) and worry about how many views you got that day. It’s a recipe for crazy-eyes. Yet so fun!
2. Am I doing a good job? It’s like an existential howl into the night (sort of). I write my little post, press ‘publish,’ but then it’s so out of my control! And even when I get comments and follows I totally worry that I’m not ‘connecting with the audience’ or something like that. And then other bloggers say you should just worry about putting out quality content…and I’m like, erm, what’s that ‘look like’ exactly? I guess you just can’t quantify these things.
3. I’m still fuzzy on how to use tags and categories. I’ve looked at other blogs and tried to see what categories they use, and they usually seem much more specific than mine (i.e. a brand name) but then when I search that brand name in the reader nothing pops up. So why categorize it that way? Am I missing something?
4. It took me frickin’ forever to learn how to a) create a menu, b) add an instagram feed and c) add a featured image so that the whole of my post wouldn’t appear on the homepage. Grrrrrrrrr. I’m like a caveman learning how to bang one stone against another here.
5. I like getting free stuff. Is this really a perk? I’ve only had one freebie thus far, but it was AMAZING and really motivating. And I truly love the idea that I might get to promote smaller brands that I love.
6. The blogging community is fantastic. People are so supportive and friendly. I know that out there in the ‘real world’ horrible trolls lurk under bridges, but in the green beauty world at least, no one has been anything but lovely and kind. THANK YOU!!!!
I hope you guys have been enjoying my posts. Plenty more to come! In the meantime, fellow bloggers reading this, what are your thoughts on blogging?