Trader Joe’s, Trader Joe’s! Purveyor of deliciousness and now…beauty products! I’ve been ploughing through my $5.99 jar of TJ’s organic virgin coconut oil and in the process learning and trying out various coconut oil beauty-uses. Here are my top 10 favorites ways to use it:
1. Slather all over body just after a shower and air-dry. Your skin will be super silky and smooth. Also works great as a shaving cream.
2. In the morning, mix a little coconut oil with your moisturizer or foundation for a sheer glow.
3. Use on lips in place of lipbalm. It works just as well.
4. Rub into brows and on lashes to soften and make thicker. It works! (give it a couple of weeks).
5. Mix with sugar, essential oil, and raw honey to create a soothing body or face scrub. Click here for the how-to.
6. Add a few drops of lemon essential oil (which helps lighten nails and remove nail polish stains) to a tablespoon of coconut oil and use as a nail and cuticle cream.
7. Swish around mouth like a mouthwash to help whiten teeth and as an anti-bacterial agent (also called oil pulling, but mouth swishing sounds more fun!)
8. Use a little (not much – just a dab really) on wet hair as a conditioner, or create your own leave-in spritz conditioner by adding 2-3 tbsp to warm water in a glass or plastic spritzer. Shake well before use! (you could also add essential oil- rosemary is good for shiny hair, and will also act as a natural preservative allowing you to keep the product around a bit longer). You could also add some salt (try 1 tsp and see if it’s to your liking) if you’d like to create a texture/tousled look.
OK, what are you waiting for? Go (coco)nuts!